Our commitment to safe and sustainable travel in Ireland has been steadfast since our conception. From eco-friendly initiatives to supporting local, we’re a small Irish company dedicated to the community and sustainable travel in Ireland.
Ireland is known as the ‘Emerald Isle’; the land of all that is green. So, it feels only fitting that we’re devoted to making the island even greener through sustainable travel in Ireland.
Launched in 2014, we’re a small-scale, locally owned and operated travel company. We do what we do because we love Ireland; we grew up here and know it like the back of our hand. Many summers we have spent doing the things and seeing the sights we now share with our guests.
And, while the major Irish attractions are covered, no doubt, what we offer is true trips of Ireland by the type of locals you’d want to cheers your Guinness with at the pub. We offer this easily because it’s who we are: native Irish adventurers with a passion for sharing our love of the land with others.
For us, green initiatives have been instilled in our DNA since day dot. Although now, more than ever, these initiatives bear resonance seldom seen. If you’re a conscientious traveller seeking a wholesome, adventurous, and authentic holiday in Ireland, we may make a great match. Read on to find out about our green and sustainable travel initiatives at Irish Experience Tours.
What does sustainable travel in Ireland mean to us?
The words ‘sustainable’ and ‘green’ are bashed about today as buzz words and sweeping statements with little to back them up. At Irish Experience Tours, we actively try to avoid such purpose-washing and instead offer true and transparent actions. After all, actions speak louder than words.
When we talk about ‘sustainable’ travel we are committing to responsible tourism in Ireland. What does that mean? It means we vie to keep our groups small to lower the environmental impact; we respect the land, support local communities, and independent business. Most of all, we honour our Irish heritage and do our part in preserving it for generations to come.
What are our eco-initiatives?
Transparency is part of who we are. Like many Irish people, we say it as it is. We also understand that we’ll never stop learning and growing, and we do all we can to continually evolve and ensure we’re making the best decisions for our guests, our fair country and our planet.
With this in mind, we are committed on our path to achieve sustainability certificates for Irish Experience Tours. To date, we have completed a fully comprehensive program that focuses on creating a sustainable tourism policy for our organisation and clear, achievable goals for the future. We are also in the midst of a second course, ‘Sustainability Management Systems’; this develops solid management systems from which our sustainability policies, practices and progress will be built.
Some of our eco-friendly initiatives in place currently include the following:
- Only on completion of each tour, our tour vehicles are jet-washed. This is because we strive to save water in whatever way we can.
- We use eco-friendly cleaning products, for example, Lilly’s Eco Clean, and Ecover eco-friendly tablets. We sanitise our vehicles using alcohol-based hand sanitisers with no chemical additives.
- On tours and at our headquarters, all waste generated is recycled. This includes office paper, card and cardboard, hard and soft plastic, polystyrene, batteries, phones and printer cartridges, metals and glass. We also compost all organic waste.
- Single-use plastic is discouraged. We promote this by offering water refilling stations on our tours.
- We vow to plant ten native Irish trees for every customer booking in 2022 to offset emissions through Trees On The Land – a programme to promote native trees across the 32 counties of Ireland. Using native Irish tree species promotes biodiversity and helps foster more effective natural habitats for insects, birds and mammals on the island of Ireland.
We have always been committed to strengthening our local community via sustainable travel in Ireland, in whatever way we can.
Our pledges to responsible tourism remain unchanged since the day we were founded; this is what we’ve always done, and what we will always do. Although now we realise that we need to come together and support one another like never before.
Some of our commitments to responsible tourism include:
- Partnering with local communities for sustainable tourism.
- Local is better; it is more authentic; it is more sustainable. On average, our tours spend nine days and eight nights in rural Ireland. The bulk of our customer spend is retained in the local economy because we give preference to locally-owned providers.
- Off the beaten track tours avoid over-tourism. It’s more rewarding for guests, and it delivers real economic benefits for lesser-explored corners of Ireland.
- Preserving local history and heritage. We’re proud of our roots and we’re excited to share them with the rest of the world. When you travel with us, you’ll get a true insight into Irish culture and heritage. Our mission is to preserve our history for generations to come.
- We respect Irish nature, wildlife and landscapes with our ‘Leave No Trace’ policy.
Tips on more sustainable travel
- Getting to Ireland: take the boat where possible. There are boats from France, England, the Isle of Man, and even Spain all pointing to the Emerald Isle.
- Getting around: walk when you can, use bikes, public transport or tour buses.
- Shopping: shop local. Ireland is a hotbed of artisans, independent producers, and traditional craftspeople.
At Irish Experience Tours, we offer a range of low-impact experiences to ensure that you have the most memorable adventure on the Emerald Isle while knowing that you’re leaving less impact on our green soil.
Some of our most popular low-impact tours include our easygoing e-bike tour of the Dingle Peninsula. On this four-day excursion, you can expect to fall in love with the mystic west coast of Ireland. Dive into culinary delights and sip on locally-produced whiskey, bask in the boundless wonders of this stunning coastal route and leave wanting more.
Another option is our four-day active multi-adventure tour of the Reeks District. Like the aforementioned, this tour is also based in the Kingdom of Kerry and offers outdoor enthusiasts an opportunity to hike, bike and discover some of the most magnificent natural wonders in all of Ireland.
For those who are looking to enjoy a private bubble tour with their nearest and dearest, we’re on hand to design a bespoke tour that prioritises low-impact activities and excursions around the Emerald Isle.
Get in touch with us today at email@example.com if you’re interested in an eco-Irish adventure this summer.