Pack your sense of adventure and get away from the everyday
Cycle through Irelands most scenic National Park and explore the forested hills, sprawling heather moors and jagged rock formations that make the Kingdom of Kerry so truly spectacular. This four-day Irish retreat experience offers a comfortable yet active way to get away from it all. Base yourself in the charming country town of Killarney and cycle your way over the scenic Gap of Dunloe, a boat trip around the famous Skellig Islands and on the lakes of Killarney, with ample time for short gentle hikes and to meet the locals and discover friendly local pubs along the way. A countryside escape awaits.
- Start: Killarney, Republic of Ireland
- Finish: Killarney, Republic of Ireland
- Destination: Republic of Ireland
- Style: Comfort & Adventure
- Theme: Irish Retreats
- Group size: Min 4, Max 16
- Getting here: Please click here
Why you’ll love this trip
- Cycle in one of the Irelands most dramatic landscapes, the famed Killarney National Park with a local experienced guide– there are few better views than from handlebar height.
- Marvel at McGillicuddy Reeks, and conquer the stunning Gap of Dunloe.
- Enjoy the famous Killarney District hospitality in the many small cafes and shops, and be sure to try one of the area’s famous pubs.
- Indulge in a cool brew from the Killarney Brewery at the local pub as a refreshing reward for a day in the saddle.
- Take an Eco boat tour that circles both islands and you get up close to Skellig Michael and the small Skelligs to see both the wildlife and the historical sites
- Enjoy the ease of leaving your cycling shoes & hiking boots at the same comfortable, conveniently located accommodation each night.
Is this trip right for you?
- Please ensure you consult your local government’s advice regarding domestic travel prior to booking this trip.
- This trip includes a cycle around Killarney National Park & The Gap of Dunloe, approximately 30 kilometres in total but rather easy. Ability to cycle, however, is essential.
- This trip includes a walk of approximately 3 kilometres, which includes a steep climb on what can be an eroded and stony path to the ridge.
Taxi, Private bus
Comfort style Guesthouse (3 nights)
We’ve chosen high-quality accommodation in a variety of bed and breakfasts, Guesthouses & wilderness lodges.
Classic – Bed & Breakfast & House Hotels
Enjoy a warm Irish welcome in charming and locally owned Bed & Breakfast & Hotel accommodation.
B&B Single Supplement – is mandatory for solo travellers – Solo travellers must pay extra to have their private room.
B&B – Twin/Double Room Share – is automatically included when 2 travellers book together
|DATES 2020||TWIN/DOUBLE ROOM||SINGLE ROOM|
|AUGUST: 16th & 27th||€559||€599|
|SEPTEMBER: 13th & 24th||€559||€599|
|OCTOBER: 11th & 22nd||€559||€599|
Do you provide arrival and departure transfers or do I need my own car?
Yes, we offer optional arrival and departure transfers, please ask your consultant at time of booking. If you have your own car or are hiring a car for onwards travel you are also welcome to use it to make your way to the trip starting point. Once you’re in your trip location, transport will be provided to and from activities. However, it may be possible to use your own vehicle at certain times if you feel more comfortable. Your own vehicle also offers the chance to explore more of the local area before or after your retreat if you have time.
All trips & retreats begin at the preferred accommodation with a welcome meeting. See itineraries for times and locations.
Once you’ve arrived, a local private bus/taxi will be on hand for the duration of the retreat. (included in the price)
If you have difficulty getting to the accommodation – Airport transfers are available upon request. Also, pickups and transfers will be available from the main Train & Bus stations closest to your accommodation.
- pick up available at Killarney & Tralee bus and train stations to your accommodations for all trips & retreats in Kerry Region. Subject to certain times
- pick up available at Galway bus and train station to your accommodation for all trips & retreats in Connemara Region. Subject to certain times
Please CLICK HERE for further information about getting here by plane, bus and train
Will my Irish Retreat have a leader?
Yes! Your Irish Retreat comes with a new, specially named expert local host. They’re here to look after you, take care of all the important bits, and give you their unique insights into the region. Travelling with an experienced host means you can just enjoy the moment, rather than worrying about what happens next.
What is the group size?
Our groups are made up of 12 travellers on average. You get all the benefits of travelling in a group – safety, new friends – but small enough to feel like your exploring a destination independently and not stuck in a big crowd.
Is there freedom & flexibility in these itineraries?
Like all Irish Experience itineraries, we’ve made sure our Irish Retreats provide the right balance between the structured and the spontaneous, giving you the flexibility to digest a destination either with your group or on your own. Want to sleep in instead of getting up for morning hike? No worries! You might spend the morning on a guided walk with your host, then partaking in a cooking a delicious local dish with your group before heading off on your own to explore the town. Needless to say, your host will be there every step of the way with suggestions and recommendations.
What if I have dietary requirements?
Most dietary requirements can be catered for, please advise us at the time of booking.
Will my money be going towards the local community?
Our Irish Retreats uses only locally owned accommodation and transport, and local hosts to guide the itinerary. By choosing to visit – and spend – with local and small businesses, we help ensure our money stays in the local economy and benefits the places we visit. Above all, we’re committed to a style of travel that is culturally, environmentally and socially responsible.
What if I don't want to do one of the activities?
Our Irish Retreats offer included and optional activities. If you don’t want to participate in any included activities you are free to do so, however, please note that no refund will be provided for unused services. We will do our best to substitute your unwanted activity for another activity, if available at the time.