Bike, Hike & Escape to one of Irelands most dramatic landscapes
Set on Ireland’s west coast, the Reeks District is the unknown beating heart of the Kingdom of Kerry. This is a full-throttle short break that features the best of Irelands southern region has to offer. We provide you with expert trail guides, accommodation and hosts; you just bring your legs and a sense of adventure. From a hike to the frosted peak of Carrauntoohil and a fascinating remote cycle which loops Caragh lake to a more sedate SUP floating on a mountain lake in a gold-tier dark sky reserve, this is a calf-stretching trip that will test all levels of fitness and expertise. Combine all this with encountering friendly faces around every corner and feasting on superb modern Irish cuisine. A perfect blend of energetic pursuits and enchanting sights, this trip is bound to leave you breathless!
- Pick Up: Killarney Bus & Train Station @ 12.30pm
- Drop Off: Killarney Bus & Train Station @ 14.00pm
- Destination: The Reeks District, Killorglin, Co. Kerry
- Style: Adventure & Comfort
- Theme: Irish Escapes
- Group size: Min 6, Max 12
- How do I get here: Please click here
Why you’ll love this trip
- Get the heart pumping on an active adventure tour around The Reeks District
- Climb to the summit of Carrauntoohill and enjoy the sweeping views of the Kingdom of Kerry
- Cycle off the main roads and into the heart and soul of the Kerry Highlands with a countryside backroad bike tour of Carragh Lake.
- SUP in the regions remote lake of Lough Cloon, near the Ballaghisheen Pass, on the edge of the Kerry International Dark Sky Reserve
- Wrap up your retreat with a special included dinner that makes the most of local produce.
Is this trip right for you?
- Please ensure you consult your local government’s advice regarding domestic travel prior to booking this trip.
- This trip includes a cycle around Carragh Lake, approximately 30 kilometres long but moderate bike ride. Ability to cycle, however, is essential.
- This trip includes a hike to the top of Irelands highest mountain of lofty 1039 metres high, which includes a steep and sometimes rocky climb on what can be an eroded and rough path to the summit.
4 breakfasts & 1 dinner
Comfort style hotel (4 nights)
|DATES 2021||TWIN/DOUBLE ROOM||SINGLE ROOM|
|FEB – MAR||€699||€759|
|APR – SEPT||€899||€989|
|OCT – DEC||€699||€759|
Do you provide arrival and departure transfers or do I need my own car?
Yes, we offer optional arrival and departure transfers, please ask your consultant at time of booking. If you have your own car or are hiring a car for onwards travel you are also welcome to use it to make your way to the trip starting point. Once you’re in your trip location, transport will be provided to and from activities. However, it may be possible to use your own vehicle at certain times if you feel more comfortable. Your own vehicle also offers the chance to explore more of the local area before or after your retreat if you have time.
All trips & retreats begin at the preferred accommodation with a welcome meeting. See itineraries for times and locations.
Once you’ve arrived, a local private bus/taxi will be on hand for the duration of the retreat. (included in the price)
If you have difficulty getting to the accommodation – Airport transfers are available upon request. Also, pickups and transfers will be available from the main Train & Bus stations closest to your accommodation.
- pick up available at Killarney & Tralee bus and train stations to your accommodations for all trips & retreats in Kerry Region. Subject to certain times
- pick up available at Galway bus and train station to your accommodation for all trips & retreats in Connemara Region. Subject to certain times
Please CLICK HERE for further information about getting here by plane, bus and train
Will my Irish Retreat have a leader?
Yes! Your Irish Retreat comes with a new, specially named expert local host. They’re here to look after you, take care of all the important bits, and give you their unique insights into the region. Travelling with an experienced host means you can just enjoy the moment, rather than worrying about what happens next.
What is the group size?
Our groups are made up of 12 travellers on average. You get all the benefits of travelling in a group – safety, new friends – but small enough to feel like your exploring a destination independently and not stuck in a big crowd.
Is there freedom & flexibility in these itineraries?
Like all Irish Experience itineraries, we’ve made sure our Irish Retreats provide the right balance between the structured and the spontaneous, giving you the flexibility to digest a destination either with your group or on your own. Want to sleep in instead of getting up for morning hike? No worries! You might spend the morning on a guided walk with your host, then partaking in a cooking a delicious local dish with your group before heading off on your own to explore the town. Needless to say, your host will be there every step of the way with suggestions and recommendations.
What if I have dietary requirements?
Most dietary requirements can be catered for, please advise us at the time of booking.
Will my money be going towards the local community?
Our Irish Retreats uses only locally owned accommodation and transport, and local hosts to guide the itinerary. By choosing to visit – and spend – with local and small businesses, we help ensure our money stays in the local economy and benefits the places we visit. Above all, we’re committed to a style of travel that is culturally, environmentally and socially responsible.
What if I don't want to do one of the activities?
Our Irish Retreats offer included and optional activities. If you don’t want to participate in any included activities you are free to do so, however, please note that no refund will be provided for unused services. We will do our best to substitute your unwanted activity for another activity, if available at the time.